Monthly Archives: July 2012
With the one year anniversary of our big trip this past week, we wanted to let you know that The World at Your Feet is not dead! We are still here and ready to bring you more! We apologize for being MIA lately. Here’s an update with some of our highlights from this past year.
1. We both graduated from Elmhurst College (Magna Cum Laude!)
2. Keeping with our travel interests, Coley snagged a travel writing internship with Premier Tourism Marketing and Kim interned at Hostelling International in Chicago. Coley was even lucky enough to have a few of her pieces published. Yep, that’s right, we’ve got a real published travel writer amongst us.
3. While we haven’t been out of the country since we’ve been back, we’ve managed to fuel our itchy feet with mini-trips in the US. Coley traveled to Boston and Cape Cod while Kim visited Philadelphia. We also spent countless weekends in Chicago exploring new foods and neighborhoods, wandering around resale shops and bakeries, organizing coffee shop crawls, learning about Chicago’s rich history and architecture, exposing Coley’s sister Dana to her very first hostel experience, and attempting to be “tourists in our own city.”
4. In December, we were excited to host our Australian friends, Adam and Freya, while they visited Chicago during their trip across the United States. We had a lot of fun playing tour guides and taking them to the iconic Chicago attractions as well as our favorite spots in the city. I’m pretty sure Adam is still talking about Chicago deep dish pizza to this very day. Sometimes its good to take a step back from your own culture and realize that ice hockey, snow, and free refills in restaurants aren’t “normal” things to everyone. Also, Adam was an awesome host while we visited Brisbane, Australia on our trip, so it was nice to repay the favor. Travel karma.
5. In October, we were honored to be featured as Lost Girls of the Week on The Lost Girls website. The Lost Girls (Amanda, Jen, and Holly) are basically our travel idols, so this was super exciting for us!
6. Our friends at Magic Bus New Zealand featured some of our travel photos and blog posts on their website and Facebook. Sweet as.
And finally, the big announcements!
1. For the coming year, Coley will be working for her sorority, Phi Mu, as a traveling chapter consultant. This job will bring her to Texas for National Convention in July, Georgia for training later that month, and then off to California where she’ll be temporarily living for a few months as she works to found a new chapter at California State University Northridge. After that, she will be traveling around the country spreading Phi Mu sparkle.
2. In September, Kim will be moving to Thailand to teach English for a year. She’ll be living on the island of Phuket for a month while she earns her TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificate and then she’ll begin her teaching job in a school in the Bangkok area shortly after.
On the long journey over to Thailand, Kim is also looking forward to making a few pit stops. First, she’ll stop in Southern California to visit Coley (of course) and our good friend Erik in San Diego. Then, she’ll be jetting off to Taipei, Taiwan to visit another good friend Tz Shun (well, we just call him Alan). After Alan bluntly told us in a hostel kitchen that we made our rice completely wrong, we befriended him during our adventures and travels in New Zealand on The Magic Bus. Every single time we speak to Alan he asks us, “When you visit Taiwan?” so when offered a flight with a stopover in Taipei, Kim knew it was the perfect opportunity. Hopefully some of those Mandarin Chinese phrases he taught us on the bus will come to good use!
3. In 2013, The World at Your Feet will be back in full swing! What exactly does that mean? It means Kim and Coley will be dusting off their backpacks and traveling together again and of course keeping you updated along the way. Coley is planning to visit Kim in Thailand and let’s just say that we’re hoping to cross a few more places (and possibly countries…) off our list! That’s all we can say for now. Stay tuned.
Do any of these updates and announcements surprise you? Let us know what you think!